I went out today and saw my neighbor changed to a big wavy hairstyle, how could I be left behind, so my curly hair journey began.
In addition to perming the curls with potions, styling with "curling irons" is also a very common method in our lives.
Compared with a permanent perm, one-time styling will cause much less damage to hair quality; this method has a high fault tolerance rate, and you can often switch between different styles of styling. In today's content, everything from tool selection for curling to the actual operation is covered.
How to choose a curling iron?
Before starting to curl your hair, let's first understand the rules for choosing a curling iron for hair of different hair types and lengths.
In addition to splints, the most frequently used curling products in our lives are the regular "curling irons" and "egg curlers".
The difference between various brands and styles of curling irons mainly lies in the two aspects of "material" and "diameter".
1. Choose the material according to the hair type
Now the curling irons on the market are basically divided into two different materials: "ceramic" and "metal":
- Ceramic: The conductivity is relatively stable, the heated area is uniform, and it is relatively less prone to damage to the hair. It is suitable for various types of hair.
- Metal: The heating speed is faster, and the curled shape is more durable, but the damage to the hair will be relatively greater, and it is not suitable for dry and severely damaged hair.
2. Choose diameter according to hair length, style
- Small diameter (6mm～18mm)
Curling iron with this diameter can make more exaggerated wool curls, hippie curls and other shapes, and it is not too picky about the length of the hair. It can also be used alone to deal with the position of details such as bangs and sideburns.
Due to the denser curl, the hair will be relatively dry after curling, so it is not recommended for donors with poor hair quality.
- Medium diameter (18mm～28mm)
Medium-diameter curling irons can make flexible "doll curls", which look more lively and playful, and are relatively more suitable for short hair, collarbone hair and other lengths.
- Large diameter (32mm～40mm)
This type of curling iron has a very wide range of applications in life. The big waves and water ripples that are rolled out are natural and soft, and they are more versatile with various styles of styling.
Large-diameter curls are more suitable for long hair. The longer the hair, the larger the diameter that can be controlled.
In addition, rolls that are too curved will be more difficult to shape. Therefore, if your hair tends to straighten easily after styling, I would recommend choosing a smaller curling iron (for example, if you want a 34mm effect, just use a 32mm curling iron).
How to get big wavy hair?
After deciding on a curling iron that suits you, we can go directly to the "practice" part. My own long hair is relatively healthy neutral hair with a medium thickness. In order to roll out a more natural big wave effect, today I chose a 32 mm ceramic curling iron.
Notice: You can choose different curling irons according to your hair length and hair quality, and the operation methods are the same.
Curly hair steps
- After applying the conditioner/insulation product, divide the hair into 2-3 layers from top to bottom, and secure the top layer with clips.
- Take a small section of hair and roll it up from the ends. The effect of rolling inward is more gentle and delicate; while the effect of rolling out is more elegant and natural (I personally prefer the latter).
- After curling to the position close to the hair root, leave it for 7 to 10 seconds before releasing it. Do not break up the curled hair first, let the hair cool naturally, and the subsequent styling effect will be better.
- After curling the head in the same way, roll the bangs back in a C-shaped arc (use regular inward rolls for short bangs).
- Finally, pick out a few strands from the outermost layer of hair and re-roll it - this step can make the overall curls look lighter and airier.
In fact, the difficulty of this whole process is really not high. If you have to say "secrets", it can only be practice makes perfect!
Lazy version wavy roll
In addition to the above regular big waves, today I also want to share with you the "lazy version of the wave roll" that I usually use, which can be made directly with a straight splint :
- First, divide the hair into upper and lower layers, then use a splint (or a large diameter curling iron) to curl the ends of the hair into an outward arc.
- After curling the end of the hair, use the technique from front to back to roll the bangs on the forehead (short bangs are rolled inward), and a natural and flexible "wave outline" comes out~
But the disadvantage of this "lazy roll" is that the roll is too loose, and it is easy to straighten with styling products. And its fluffy effect is definitely not as good as big waves, and there are certain requirements for the level of hair (if the hair ends are too neat, it will be unnatural to roll out).
How to get an egg roll hair?
Different from the romantic and soft big wavy curls, the "egg curl hair" has a more lively and youthful temperament, and the effect of fluffy hair is also very good, which is very suitable for casual styles. With the gradual popularization of this type of curly hair, there are more and more diameters that can be selected for the egg roll curling iron.
14-24mm can roll out a wool-like effect, the style is more playful and very suitable for short and medium-length hair. The effect of 26-32mm is closer to the "water ripples" produced by the perm, which is more suitable for long hair. In this styling, I chose the "large diameter" of 28mm, which can be used for both long hair and short hair.
- After applying the hair care/insulation product, comb the hair, then divide the hair into 2-3 layers from top to bottom, and fix the hair on the upper layer with clips.
- Start near the roots and work your hair down from top to bottom. Unlike wavy curls, you can pick up some extra hair with each clip (unless you're using a particularly miniature cone-shaped curling iron).
- If you want a more voluminous effect, you can also clip the upper and lower layers of hair in different directions (reverse the curling iron).
- Finally, the part of the bangs is clipped, and the effect of the two directions is similar.
Notice: If the length of the bangs is relatively short, it can also be replaced with a conventional curling iron/splint for styling.